CranioSacral Therapy & SomatoEmotional Release
If you've been curious about this work, or have experienced a taste of it and would like to dive deeper, I have created a comprehensive and deeply nourishing way to begin your journey with this profoundly healing art. CransioSacral Therapy (CST) and SomatoEmotional Release (SER) are modalities that I regularly incorporate in my ongoing work with my integrative psychotherapy clients, and many of them report that these sessions have led to some of their greatest insights in therapy.
I am such a firm believer in the effectiveness of this approach that I serve as teaching assistant with The Upledger Institute, where I trained, so that I can help others to learn how to use these tools with their clients. I am excited to now be offering you a unique opportunity to experience this work for yourself, outside of the context of an ongoing psychotherapy relationship, so that you, too, can more easily access your self-healing potential and begin utilizing some of these tools either at home, or as part of a complete mind-body wellness program.
Can CranioSacral Therapy Help Me?
Some of the conditions people report being improved by CranioSacral Therapy and SomatoEmotional Release include:
- Chronic Fatigue & Sleep Disturbances
- Chronic Pain & Tension-Related Syndromes
- Autoimmune Conditions
- Nervous System Imbalances
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Addictive and Compulsive Behaviors
- Emotional Difficulties including Anxiety and Depression
- Fibromyalgia and other Connective-Tissue Disorders
- Temporomandibular Joint Syndrome (TMJ)
- Migraine Headaches
- ...and much more
I encourage you to explore the Upleder Institute's website for more on how CST and SER can support you. They do a stellar job of documenting client successes in overcoming a wide variety of physical and mental health challenges, and continue to engage in ground breaking research on how these approaches can help treat conditions from Autism to Orthopedic Issues. I am happy to discuss whether or not CST/SER might be right for you in a free consultation, and encourage you to discover the answer for yourself during our 3-session intensive together, which will provide you with all the evidence you need to know if this is a path you wish to follow in your pursuit of optimal health.
Who Is This Program For?
- You want to give yourself a wellness-inspired gift. These 3-sessions are designed to stand-alone as a complete and robust self-care package. You'll come away with new ways to nourish yourself, starting from day one.
- You wish to enhance transformational work you are already be engaged in. Many of my clients are referred to this program from other healers and health care providers to support ongoing work already in process. If desired, I am happy to consult with any other practitioners you are seeing.
- You are considering ongoing work with me. This package can serve as a foundation for future sessions, whether that's with this or any of the other modalities that I practice. Many clients decide after completing the introductory package that they'd like to continue to follow up with me, which is always welcome, and never required.
How The Introductory Package Works:
Over the course of three spacious, 90-minute sessions, you'll not only experience the work firsthand, you'll also be guided in how to extend the benefits beyond our sessions together through exercises designed to assist you in developing a stronger connection with your inner healer.
While each person's needs are unique and I prioritize your individual desires above any formula, here's what you might expect:
- A verbal assessment of what's brining you to CST/SER at this time
- A non-verbal assessment using the craniosacral rhythm as a guide
- A complete 10-Step Protocol full-body treatment
- I'll teach you how to feel the rhythm and how to use the "still-point inducer" at home
- An opportunity for you to ask more in-depth questions about the work, if desired
- An introduction to working with your "inner wisdom"
- Focus on the "avenue of expression" including work in jaw and mouth
- Chakra balancing and opportunity for post-experiential discussion about the work
- Introduction to SER and "energy cysts"
- Continue working with inner wisdom
- Introduce therapeutic imagery and dialogue
- Prepare for continuing care through ongoing self-care or follow-up sessions
What Happens After I Complete the Foundations Program?
Follow up appointments after completing the introductory package are 75-minutes. The focus of these sessions is more hands-on and less didactic. These sessions can be scheduled as-needed, in the form of a "tune-up," or can be scheduled regularly as part of a health maintenance program.
The foundations program, while robust, is designed to lay the groundwork for more advanced work to take place, including the possibly of multi-hands work with an additional therapist. The vast possibilities of where you might like to go with this work can be discussed upon completing the introductory sessions.
Tell Me More About How CranioSacral Therapy & SomatoEmotional Release Works
CranioSacral Therapy (CST) works by helping the body’s natural healing mechanisms dissipate the negative effects of stress on the central nervous system.
This is accomplished through utilizing a physiological body system called the craniosacral system, whose job it is to maintain the environment in which the central nervous system functions. It consists of the membranes and cerebrospinal fluid that surround and protect the brain and spinal cord, extending from the bones of the skull, face and mouth (which make up the cranium) down to the tailbone area (or sacrum).
CranioSacral therapists hold the belief that your body is intelligent and able to self-correct under supportive conditions. A CransioSacral therapist can assist you in this process by using gentle touch to evaluate and enhance the functions of the craniosacral system, with generally up to no more than 5 grams of pressure, in order to free up any restrictions that might be inhibiting its flow.
Like the pulse of the cardiovascular system, the craniosacral system has a rhythm that can be felt throughout the body. Practitioners can monitor this rhythm to pinpoint the source of an obstruction or stress. Injuries, disease, stress or trauma anywhere in the body can cause restrictions in the free movement of the system. Once a source has been determined, they can assist the natural movement of the fluid and related soft tissue to help the body heal.
Often times a simple, sometimes non-perceivable action is all it takes to remove a restriction. Other times the client, and the client's "inner wisdom" must be called upon to clear it.
As restrictions are released and the body begins to return to optimal functioning, many possible sensations may occur. The release may be felt as heat, pulsing, relaxation, or in many other ways. Because memories of trauma and injury are often stored in the connective tissue of the body, sometimes the release is accompanied by emotion or old memories related to the original cause of the restriction. When this happens, the patient and therapist work together to allow the expression of these patterns of tissue memory, often dramatically reducing the level of pain or dysfunction in the area involved.
I have over 200 hours of specialized training in CranioSacral Therapy and SomatoEmotional Release as developed and taught by osteopathic physician John E. Upledger. I continue to take classes and receive mentorship from advanced practitioners through The Upledger Institute, where I also serve as a teaching assistant. I regularly receive the work myself, and can attest to its power firsthand.